Saturday, December 18, 2010

Kwa Heri, Baba Askofu!

Farewell, Father Bishop!

Today His Lordship, Jude Thaddeus Ruwa'ichi, Bishop of Dodoma, presided at a morning liturgy at which service he confirmed countless children and a few adults. I'm sure that someone knows the number who were confirmed -- someone better know the number confirmed. From my part, all I can say is that it was like the proverbial sub-compact at a circus: they didn't stop!

The bishop is very counter-cultural. By that I mean to say that I have never been at a Mass where he presided when we didn't begin early. Today was no exception the Mass scheduled to being at 9:30 began about 9:22 -- and we ended just after noon. Our bishop is known for his knowledge of the scriptures -- and known for being generous in sharing that knowledge in his preaching.

The celebration provided the opportunity for our parishioners to wish the bishop (beloved by the people) all the best as he moves to Mwanza, on the shores of Lake Victoria, where he will become the archbishop. In addition to the large parish celebration, there was a smaller celebration with the parish and domestic workers in our Jesuit residence. It was a delightful afternoon filled with laughter and conversation. I do very well with the laughter part; for the conversation part, I continue to struggle!

Before the bishop left, I asked if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with some of the young men who regularly help as servers and otherwise. These young men are always quick to welcome me, to help me with my Kiswahili, and to assist folks here in any way they can.

As I noted, our mid-day meal was shared among the Jesuits, the bishop, and the parish and domestic employees. One of the things that made me very happy was the question, "Shawny na Rolla, wako wapi?" "Where are Sean and Laura?" (It is very hard for folks here not to end a word with a vowel --99.99@ of Kiswahili words do. Thus Shawny. Likewise, the confusion of the English 'l" sound with the "r" sound is also common; thus Rolla. Laura is considering going by her middle name in Kiswahili -- Neema, Grace.) We are very lucky to have these two American volunteers (along with the German volunteers who are working in projects other than the high school) who are not shy and who in a month's time have manage to burrow deep into people's hearts. In fact, Sean and Laura left today to join the other volunteers from Dar es Salaam and Moshi at a retreat in Tanga. I'm sure they'll profit from the retreat, and I'm also sure they'll return even more thankful for our wonderful climate here in the Dusty D.

No comments:

Post a Comment