Saturday, April 18, 2009

Inspiration

I've been in San Diego and Anaheim, splitting my time between the annual meetings of the American Educational Research Association and the National Catholic Education Association. I had a chance to catch up with Aiden Downey, my friend and occasional (too occasional) writing partner, at the AERA conference in San Diego. In an email to me trying to figure out when we could meet, he wrote the following about what I'd shared with him relative to next year:
This may sound silly but I am so proud of you, proud to consider you a friend. This is deeply meaningful work, and that you have the courage to do it inspires me to try to do the same.
I told Aiden how hard it is for me to read those words. I certainly am getting a lot of attention as I talk to more and more people about what is probable re: next year (and I've discovered that what they say about the Internet IS true -- quite a number of folks are finding this site, though I've only told a few about it), but here's the thing: What I'm doing really isn't that special. Most of the time, given the opportunity, folks do what they can. What inspired me as I first heard of OLQP was the story of the Doherty family who have partnered with the Jesuits of East Africa to start this amazing project. Reflecting on the story of their generosity, I found myself in prayer saying those very words "people do what they can." I cannot give substantial financial backing to this project as they can and have, but I can do what I can: I can offer my skills, my training, my experience and go to Dodoma. And there are others who can do neither, but they, too, will do what they can: pray for its success, for instance.

So, don't be so proud of me, Aiden: We're all managing to do what we can within our own contexts. And we all can inspire one another in this regard by sharing the stories of what matters to us and how these passions urge us on to do what we can.

Malkia wa Amani: Utuombe.

No comments:

Post a Comment