Thursday, December 2, 2010

Keeping Up

It's hard to keep up with work that requires a computer when there's no electricity. We were without electricity most of the day, the day during which I was going to finish up composing our second entrance tests, followed by proofing, printing, and collating them. Ah well, it gave me a chance to plan our teacher orientation -- using pen and paper to do so!

December and the beginning of January will be devoted to forming the faculty regarding the philosophy of St. Peter Claver High School. It will also give them a chance to get accustomed to my management style. Some teachers at schools where I have served might disagree, but by-and-large, I think former colleagues would agree that my approach to leadership in schools is to listen carefully, to find common themes, to articulate these and encourage discussion, and then to decide. My role following decisions is to follow through with resources to ensure success regarding any decision and the necessary accountability.

Teachers are due to arrive on Monday. There is one slight problem: 2 of the 7 candidates have not signed contracts, though they assure me that they intend to do so. One of the candidates did sign a contract, but he has recently been unreachable. I am learning, my friends, that this is the life of a school administrator in TZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment