Thursday, January 20, 2011

Falling...

...into place, many things. As Sunday approaches, I am actually feeling more comfortable with our situation. Will everything be in place? Absolutely not. Will it be a dire situation, though? I don't expect so, and in fact I think generally we're on top of things -- or at least no most of what we're not on top of!

As I recall, there's a Donald Rumsfeld quotation about knowing what you don't know. I realize that the nature of a surprise is that it cannot be anticipated. At the same time, I think one of the things I do pretty well (at the expense of sleep) is to imagine various possible scenarios and design programs and structures to meet as many different eventualities as possible.

We've had meetings the last two days among Kizito Busobozi, SJ (have I mentioned his arrival? a great assignment by the provincial to our place for which I am very thankful), Sr. Maria, the director of boarding; and Sr. Beatrice, the matron -- and today we were joined by Sr. Immaculata, the nurse, and Mr. Thomas Warema, the patron. The meetings were meant to plan the arrival of the students on Sunday and then also the schedule of events during the following orientation week.

The arrival of Kizito and St. Maria, et al., poses one challenge for me, however. After working on so many things alone, I am out of practice re: delegating to others things to be done. I had to remind myself of that today and turn over the orientation week plans to the folks, who will plan it with the teachers and divvy up responsibilities.

Other good news is that the details of my trip to the US are coming together. So far, three different friends/family have agreed to host small gatherings of folks, which gatherings will provide me the chance to introduce/update folks about our project.

In other news, tomorrow night will be my first night at Ihumwa. Our provisional residence is not quite ready -- but given that there are so many here who have so much less, a few nights with just a bed and no other furniture should not be so very difficult to manage (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment