Thursday, March 4, 2010

Runs Like an Impala

I just arrived an hour ago to Moshi (at the foot of Kilimanjaro) after some days in Nairobi. Kiarie and I visited three of the most well-respected schools on Tuesday. By coincidence that was the day when the results of the national exams were announced -- you can imagine the excitement in the air. All very different schools with different philosophies. I learned a lot.
I've also learned that the road might be paved with good intentions but that the road to Nairobi from Arusha is not paved at all for much of it on the Tanzania side. Rough going on Monday when there was a lot of mud -- and dusty today on our return.
We have been warmly welcome by our Jesuit companions -- first the novices at Arusha, then the Jesuits at the provincial residence in Nairobi, and now this evening in Moshi.
In addition to seeing the school's mentioned above, we also spent yesterday visiting Jesuit (and affiliated) works in Nairobi, including our parish and retreat house and Nyumbani (at home) -- a place for HIV+ children. So proud to be a Jesuit. (Incidentally, our retreat house is beautifully set in the area called "Karen" because it was the farm of Out of Africa fame.)
Some pictures later (haven't taken so many).

No comments:

Post a Comment