A lot to report from recent days. On Thursday we went out to the site to meet a gentleman from Caritas in the Tabora Diocese. Until yesterday we still had not made a determination regarding how to treat our wastewater. His organization has built ecological sanitation facilities for the last thirteen years. It was an excellent presentation, and it helped us to make our final determination to go with the anaerobic design. Not only will we conserve land by not having to devote space for oxidation ponds, we will also have the benefit of fertilizer, water for the irrigation of our trees and playing fields, and methane for cooking. It is exciting.
Speaking of playing fields….We went to the part of the site where they will be located. On the plans the area looks like a little peninsula, jutting from the rest of our property. The plans don’t have the scale written on them, and so every time I am in such a situation I am surprised: The area is huge. Preparing them will take a lot of work because we chose a site where there would be the least amount of impact. For years this part of the campus was quarried by individuals, so it will be a matter of using fill from other projects on campus and doing some cutting and filling at the site as well. The added benefit is that it is downwind, so that any dust that is kicked up will not affect us on campus.
I head out on Sunday for a tour of schools in Kenya and Tanzania. Sunday we’ll (Fr. Joe Kiarie, SJ, and I) travel to Arusha and then continue on to Nairobi on Monday. Monday afternoon I have a meeting with the provincial. Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent visiting schools. Tuesday night I’ll have a chance to meet up with a friend from JSTB days, Gabriel Mmassi, currently the rector of the Jesuit community at Hekima College. Thursday-Saturday will be spent in Moshi/Arusha. We’ll travel to Dar es Salaam on Sunday. The visit to Dar will include visits to Loyola High School, the Tanzanian Institute for Education, the US embassy, and a couple of other schools. We’ll return to Dodoma on Wednesday, 10 March.
A video update of progress will follow soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment