Monday, November 15, 2010

Rain

Not in Dodoma but rather in Dar es Salaam, where I find myself today, preparing for a night flight to Paris, via Nairobi and Zurich.

Dar-es-Salaam is known for its hot, humid weather. Natives and other friends who've lived there for a long time have all told me that this year the weather has been especially bad. Leaving Dodoma yesterday, I prepared myself psychologically to face the trials of Dar (traffic, heat, mosquitoes, etc.). What a wonderful relief to find that there's a break in the weather -- only 29 degrees Celsius (84 degrees Farenheit) instead of the customary 40 (104 degrees Farenheit). It's still humid but manageable. And there was little traffic on our way in to town at six in the evening -- and I haven't been bitten by a single mosquito!
Today I'll meet with Sr. Mary Rose, a Congolese sister who serves as the material manager at Loyola High School, Dar-es-Salaam. I'll also meet with another sister form the same congregation, Sr. Eugenie, the head teacher at the Jesuit primary school here in Dar. We have two students from the school coming to join us, and two others now are keen on coming to Dodoma. Later today, I'll visit with a member of our advisory board, Veronica Sarungi, a mathematics teacher and educational consultant.

I suspect it will be a productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment