I'm home.
And glad to be here.
My days away were rejuvenating, but there's much to do here and I'm glad to be back to it.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the UNESCO conference was not everything that I'd hoped. I felt very much on track with UNESCO regarding St. Peter Claver in at least one regard: philosophy. One of the foci of the conference was the importance of introducing students to philosophy even at the high school level (and earlier!). In fact, our students will have a course devoted to moral reasoning taught by one of our volunteers, Laura. It won't be a history of philosophy, but it will be an opportunity for them to engage in "doing" philosophy.
I arrived home yesterday afternoon after a 7 hour bus ride from Dar (and a days' long journey the day before from Paris). I had the 6:30 a.m. Mass this morning and then headed right out to the site. I was pleased to see great progress.
We'll have a second entrance test on Saturday. I'm a bit concerned with the boy:girl ratio, however. We have a few seats left, and I'd like those to go to girls (they make up less than 1/2 of the students already accepted).
More news as the days unfold. This afternoon, I'm setting up the schedule and beginning to prepare documents for the teacher's orientation that begins next Monday.
Did you wear your Maasai blanket?:)
ReplyDeleteI wore my shuka on the airplane -- it was freezing. (I think I managed not to look like a crazy mzungu.) But other than that the cold didn't bother me as much as I thought it would -- sweaters and sweatshirts were enough.
ReplyDelete