Friday, October 23, 2009

Mail

Folks have asked me about mail. I’ve hesitated to answer until I had a better sense.

What follows is what I’ve come to understand, both from others and from reading.


My friend Nancy Brewer sent me some CDs of the talks she went to at Chautauqua this summer, and they reached me in ten days time from Los Angeles (thanks, Nancy!).


The mail service in Tanzania is not as efficient as the U.S. Postal Service. I mentioned how quickly mail arrived from Los Angeles, but from what I understand it can take a bit longer from here to the US.


People have asked in particular about sending care packages. From what I understand, such can be a frustrating experience for all involved due to not infrequent theft and heavy customs taxes. So please, don’t send any costly items through the mail.


I understand that packages sent in padded envelopes do better than boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment