That's "boiled brain." The last two days have been spent doing simple math and telling time. I feel like a five/six-year-old child all over again. With time, not only is it necessary to remember the numbers but that Kiswahili time is told differently -- and more logically, actually (but only if you live near the equator). Given that it begins to get light here at 6 a.m., that means the first hour of light is 7, which makes it 7:00 a.m.
saa moja,"time one o'clock." This means that until you get used to the convention for telling time, you need constantly to subtract six.
And simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division! I can only imagine how I'd fail at the quadratic equation -- given I never succeeded with it in English (y = mx + b was higher math for me).
Folks have been clamoring for more pictures -- not so many more from the time in Mikumi (did you notice how very dry it is there?), but I'll try to get some more picture of the folks around these parts. Some marvelous teachers and fellow students here.
Today it was 37 degrees, celsius; that's about 99 degrees farenheit -- another reason my brain was boiled, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment