Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our Lady of Sorrows

This Catholic feast, which always follows on the heels of the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross, has special meaning for me this year because of the mothers I see. It was Pascal, I believe, who said that "Christ will be in agony 'til the end of time." And one of my favorite artists of the last century, Georges Rouault, made the connection between this agony and the suffering of the poor. One need only read Matthew 25 to see how Jesus himself makes the connection.

This is a feast for all those mothers who must witness their children suffering. They sow in sorrow; may they reap in joy.

FYI, Kadeghe just came in the common room and non-chalantly noted that he just almost stepped on a cobra. I'll avoid walking on unlit paths. (As I mentioned in an earlier posting, though, traffic is something to be more careful of.) Incidentally, there's a weekly rotation of teachers; that means that Kadeghe is not teaching me and instead Moreto is -- an excellent teacher, too.

Is there no one who could have warned me about all these prefixes in Swahili?

No comments:

Post a Comment