Friday, September 18, 2009

Nilikwenda mjini

I played hooky this afternoon and I went into the city. And I did by using the local transportation system, the dala-dala. Those who know me know that I'm not the bravest when it comes to trying such new things. I not only managed fine, but had fun doing it. Incidentally, I counted 30 people (including infants and children) in the vehicle, which I imagine was built for 16.
The dala-dalas don't have good shock absorption, so the accompanying photo is the best I could do. Notice the fellow on the left, handing holding up his head -- that's they typical pose as you wait forever at the terminal in the city for the return trip -- they don't leave according
to schedule but rather when they're packed. It's hot and miserable. I ended up walking with him from the street toward the campus -- Kevin works in Tabora, but he's home for the weekend with his wife.
Sossy kindly had delivered to me this late afternoon my camel (water holding backpack), my lectionary, sacramentary, and alb -- and a missal in Swahili. The folks at the Salvatorian Institute down the street have kindly invited me to concelebrate Sunday Masses with them, even to the point of encouraging me to practice part of the Eucharistic Prayer.
Take good care all.

No comments:

Post a Comment