Monday, August 31, 2009

A Full Two Days

Malasi arrived at Loyola High School close to two o’clock in the afternoon on Saturday. He’d been held up in Morogoro (where I’ll be studying Kiswahili beginning on Friday – one third of the way from D’Salaam and Dodoma) and ended up finding a detour through the sisal farms located there. He arrived in a Land Cruiser pick-up, which we realized was not the best thing for going through the D’Salaam traffic, for my bags could easily be picked off in the back. The solution was to put them in potato sacks and throw and tie them in. It worked! And believe me it was tested, for it took over two hours just to travel the twenty kilometers from Loyola High School to the outskirts of Dar es Salaam.

By the time we arrived at Morogoro it was dark. This provided for new adventures. Going 120 kph on a two-lane, undivided highway with pedestrians, bikes, and motor-scooters along the way and daladalas (minibuses used for local transport) making frequent unannounced (no directionals) stop. And of course the trucks take over the road at night. Malasi is a great driver; without his expertise my heart would have been in my throat many more times than it was. We arrived safely in Dodoma a bit past ten in the evening.

Sunday was filled with festivity. I slept in, so did not make it to the 7:30 a.m. Mass. As I was having my breakfast a bit after 8:00 o’clock the bishop walked in to the kitchen. He arrived early for the next Mass, which was to be a celebration of the parish’s youth. And indeed it was – over two hours of such celebration, including a very thoughtful homily by the bishop on what it means to be a community of shared values and what this means in terms of forming the next generation. (I must say from my visit with the bishop at the kitchen table, he is one of the most thoughtful members of the episcopacy I’ve met.) There was great singing and processional dancing by the youth. There was also, as it happened, the annual collection to support the bishop’s ministry, so at the time of the collection various groups of the parish (choir, small Christian communities, etc.) reported what their gift to him would be.

After communion, Sossy once again introduced me to the community, and the bishop graciously welcomed me as a blessing not only to the Jesuit community but to the local Church.

After Mass a group of us went to the rectory for some refreshment. These included us Jesuits, the bishop, and some other priests originally from Dodoma but now in Dar es Salaam (a capuchin and a diocesan priest) along with parish leaders and some of the sisters. This gave the youth a chance to prepare their program which we attended about forty-five minutes later –- a program of more than an hour’s length of song and dance. After the program and some words by bishop we returned once again to the rectory (now after two o’clock) for an amazing meal of roast chicken, rice, potatoes, and cabbage.

I found a couple hours in the middle of the afternoon to unpack (really, did I need to pack so many shirts?) and rest a bit. At seven we went to the parish hall where there was a farewell party for Jacquelyn, a parish employee. The hall was set up like a classroom with the guest of honor, Sossy, and Malasi at its head. Dinner was served – chicken, bananas, potatoes, and cabbage. Michel was very attentive to me, concerned that there weren’t utensils for me to use. I decided this time was a good as any to dive into it all and declined the offer. I managed quite well, I think.

After the dinner there were testimonials, which I could tell were heartfelt – all in Kiswahili so I cannot report much more than that. Except this: her going away gift was two long pieces of cloth which were brought up to her in a rhythmic procession by the folks. Upon reaching her they enwrapped her and themselves in the cloth – quite moving. After this presentation some more testimonials followed by dancing, which is when I took my leave.

Indeed a full two days and many more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment