My visit with Fr. Dick Twohig, sj, who was the original principal at Loyola High School Dar es Salaam was very good, though I was less prepared for the meeting than I intended.
I taped the meeting so that I wouldn't be distracted by taking notes; however, my life has been so hectic the last days that I haven't had the opportunity to listen to and transcribe what I taped. Dick was very encouraging. He noted that he was able to devote himself wholly to the academic program because Fr. Louis Plamondon, sj (RIP) directed the project, taking care of the things a president of a Jesuit high school might in the USA. He noted how important a good team was for the successful start of LHS Dar.
Dick noted that his three years in Tanzania were the best three years in his Jesuit life. This is a pattern among those I talk to about living in Africa. A companion in my community here at Loyola Marymount University, Rui Nunes of the Portuguese Province, says the same of his time in Mozambique.
My visit gave me a chance to visit my mother, who suffers from dementia. She recognized me as someone in her life, but couldn't quite manage to place me as her youngest (and favorite, right sibs?) child. My sisters and brother and I can take such consolation in the care she's receiving at Sunset House which facility, however unfortunately named, is a wonderful, caring place that treats its residents with such dignity.
Malkia wa Amani: Utuombe.
No comments:
Post a Comment