Folks are intrigued by the proximity of Dodoma to the equator and what that means relative to length of day etc.
For comparison's sake, you can follow these links to get a sense of the difference between Toledo, Ohio, USA (my hometown) and Dodoma. There are at least a couple of things to notice: (1) just how brief dusk and dawn are in Dodoma, and (2) that the longest day of the year in Toledo has about four more hours of light than the longest day in Dodoma. My friend Martin Chase,sj, who spends quite a bit of time in Copenhagen might be interested in the even greater difference between there and Dodoma.
Incidentally, the stress in the word Dodoma goes on the penultimate syllable. I've been told that this is a pretty invariable rule re: pronunciation.
Three weeks from today I'll be in the air to AMS en route to DAR via KIA. I'm spending a couple of days in Amsterdam before heading to Tanzania. My sister Michelle and her husband, Jerry (a USAF colonel at NATO), will come over from Brussels to help me celebrate my birthday on May 17.
No comments:
Post a Comment