Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Loyola @ Loyola

Today, I had the opportunity to meet someone that I have been corresponding with for the last year: Fr. Pete Henriot, SJ, who is directing the development of Loyola High School in Malawi.

Fr. Henriot's story is an inspiring one and it was good to hear him share it with those of us who gathered for lunch at Ignatius House here at Loyola University Chicago. After starting the Center of Concern in DC and working for almost two decades there, he moved to Zambia to begin work. Among the fruits of his labours is the Jesuit Centre for Theological Reflection. Among the projects that has most impressed me is the basic needs basket project.

As I mentioned, we've been in email correspondence about how to manage to infuse a Jesuit ethos in new schools. With a vision like his, they won't have such a difficult time in Lilongwe, I'm sure. Not sure how it is said in Chichewa, but given common Bantu origins it can't be so different from Kiswahili: Mungu akubariki! God bless you, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment