Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So Much to Learn

It has taken me almost a year to get learn about textbooks. Who would have thought that this would be an area of confusion.

Each time I asked someone about textbooks, the answer was just a little different -- or at least seemed so to me. Today, finally, I've figured it out: There is no such thing as a standard issued textbook. They are all based on the national syllabus, but the teacher might be using one and the students using textbooks from four different publishers. I've asked faculty members at Loyola High School, Dar es Salaam, to help me identify what are the best textbooks. I'm going to purchase enough of these for each student to have his/her own.

While in D'Salaam, I also enlisted the help of two faculty members from the science department to list the needs for our first year in the labs.
Finally, today I juggled the finalists for our teaching positions with our schedule. If -- and it's a big IF -- everyone to whom I offer a job accepts, we'll be able to make it with 7 teachers. Details as they unfold!

1 comment:

  1. Marty, great post. It took me a long time to figure out text books as well. Any chance that Kindles or iPads could start changing access to books for Tanzanian students of the future?

    I just mailed an SAT prep book to a student I sponsor in Mwanza. The book cost $10. Shipping was $30. My hope is that information and the internet and deliver more affordable knowledge access to our friends in TZ.

    ReplyDelete