Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hongera Sana

Hearty Congratulations!

Those were the words this morning of one of the sisters who attends daily Mass at the parish church. She was -- hard for me to believe -- complimenting me on my Kiswahili (I celebrated the Mass this morning). When I protested -- si kweli!, that's not true -- she insisted. I guess my reading and pronunciation are getting better.

I do in fact feel more and more comfortable using the language. I venture out more alone -- today to register my SIM card (a new law) and to get a haircut. I used to find these sorts of things difficult and would rely on Malasi's help, but I feel more and more comfortable on my own.

The phone registration, however, was a bit embarrassing. There was a long line, and I joined it like everyone else. After fifteen or so minutes one of the employees came up to me (who stood out -- white and about six inches taller than the next tallest person) and invited me to step into an office to get the registration done. I protested that there were so many people ahead of me -- but just for a moment.

On Friday folks from the education office at the district level (a district here is between a municipality and a region) will be visiting the site on Friday.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment