Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Apologies

Sorry for getting so behind in posting here.

The trip to Nairobi was remarkable. I did no site-seeing, but I was engaged in an extraordinary meeting of Jesuits working in the Eastern Africa Province. We gathered at the request of our provincial to discern the apostolic agenda of the Jesuits in this part of the world. It was a marvelous experience.

That was followed by a few days in Morogoro, where I worked on some matters in my other capacity, assistant to the provincial for education and chair of the education commission. It was a good place to think and write.

I returned to Dodoma on Sunday. I was pulled over twice by the police. The first because the officer saw me go in one direction, turn around, and return an hour later. (I had forgotten my luggage in Morogoro and received a call an hour into the three hour trip informing me of that fact.) The officer was very pleasant and appreciated my attempt at Kiswahili. The second time, the officer asked where I was coming from, where I was going; asked to see the car's registration, etc. Finally, he said, "You know it is very hot out here. You could give us a 'jifty'." It took me a second, but I figured out he meant a gift. I had a 1.5 litre of water, unopened, so I gave it to them.

I just go back from our site and here are some of the sights -- you can see our progress!

(Well, after two hours of trying to upload, it seems you'll have to wait to see the progress)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the update and the local "officials" stories--I was beginning to worry about you. you sound rested and relaxed--that's good. looking forward to the pictures. sister she

    ReplyDelete