Wishing all my readers only good things for 2010.
My friend Mary Jo mentioned something when I first arrived back to the US. She wrote that this trip home for my mother's funeral was in many ways her last gift to me. It's true. The time we had as a family just before Christmas was remarkable and grace-filled. I have a marvelous family; our marvels, unlike those of other families, are actually best seen in times of stress -- and that was certainly true this time around.
Special thanks go to Sheila and Denny for so much hosting. To my niece Megan for her assistance in getting me to LA, and my sister Julie for her kindness, too.
It was good to see Jesuit friends. Among the most significant visits was with Isaac Kiyaka of the Eastern Africa Province. Fr. Kiyaka just completed a term as novice director and is now enjoying some rest here in the States. I met him last night at Colombiere Center, north of Detroit, where the Detroit, Chicago, and Wisconsin province Jesuits in formation were gathering. My conversation with him confirmed for me what I've told people who have asked: I am right where God wants me at this time in my life. And it's a wonderful thing in life when the divine will matches your own!
I won't be posting any more before my return to Dodoma next week, but I think when I arrive there I'll introduce you to the wonderful people I live and work with over the course of the ensuing weeks.
One final thanks to all the thoughtful people who kindly made donations to OLQP as a memorial to my mother.
Safe journeys. Love reading your entries, but I'm patient! :-)
ReplyDeleteWe're glad to help in any way we can, Marty. And you can't be shy about it! A desk? A classroom full of desks? A computer? A classroom full of computers? Let us know the different sorts of ways we can help -- and different levels -- and we'll do what we can.
Deborah H.