I had a colleague at St. Ignatius High School, Cleveland, whose response to me when I inquired about his baby girl was always, "Gettin' bigger!" Well, that's precisely what I thought when I watched this Youtube video of our students singing Paul's famous words about love during their first weeks of secondary school. They have grown from being children to being young men and women -- and they've grown in wisdom, too!
Thank you Fr. Marty for what you are doing. I only wish that my brother Dick could be with you today. He was looking forward to his next mission assignment. He had his ticket ready to come but his destination was changed by the Father. God Bless. Mike Cherry
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. I left Dodoma in summer 2012 just when Dick was assigned to join the school. I was hoping that he would be able to influence our science instruction. If you don't know, you should: The students whom he taught at Loyola High School, Dar es Salaam, were forever changed by him because of the way he taught. Unlike most educators in Tanzania, he was interested in the students' UNDERSTANDING, not just their ability to answer facts on a test.
DeleteWhenever he and I met up (when we both found ourselves in either Dar or Nairobi), we enjoyed talking about Toledo (As you might know, I graduated from Blessed Sacrament, surrounded by Cherries -- my mother (who had 11 children) was a little sorry to have been supplanted! God bless -- and keep the work of the Jesuits in Eastern Africa in your prayers.