Saturday, June 16, 2012

Almost Two Months

It's been almost two months since I last posted. I apologize.

In part it is because of a lot of initial travel, and it part it has been because of a little grief. It hasn't been so easy to say goodbye -- certainly not as easy as I thought.

I am often asked about the cultural re-entry. Initially that presented some challenges. In my first days I had to do some shopping and found it extremely difficult to be in a shopping mall. Not so much because of the consumerism but because of the assault on my senses -- having to smell Cinnabun (sp?) and Pizza Hut all at the same time and all of the noises. It was too much.

I had nice visits with family and friends in Toledo and Detroit and Cleveland, where I also had some meetings at John Carroll University. My time here at Loyola University Chicago Jesuit Community has been good. I am especially thankful for the superior here, Fr. Brian Paulson, who entered the Jesuits with me in 1981.

For those who don't know, the main campus of LUC is located right on Lake Michigan. Its location has provided me with the opportunity to get more exercise -- mostly walking. I haven't yet taken full advantage of everything Chicago has to offer, but I will.

I have had a thorough check-up (including a colonoscopy), and everything checked out well -- though weight is an issue (I think I'm one of the few people who has returned home from Africa heavier than when he left!).

I also had the chance to reconnect with a number of Jesuits at a gathering of Jesuits of the Midwest in St. Paul, MN. It was my first visit to St. Paul. It was a great time for me -- my only disappointment was not meeting up with Mary Richards, Rhoda Morgenstern, Ted Baxter, et al.

Next week I will be making my way westward to Winter Park, Colorado. My sister Colleen and brother-in-law Tim are kindly allowing me to use their home for some r 'n r 'n r 'n r -- rest, relaxation, reading, and writing. Among the things I will be writing will be a keynote to be delivered the International Colloquium on Jesuit Secondary Education to be held in Boston at the end of July/early August. After the Boston meeting I'll spend a few days relaxing lakeside in Connecticut, thanks to the kindness of my friends John and Mary Beth.

How do I sum all all of this? Mungu ni mwema! God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment