...I was an assistant professor of education at Loyola Marymount University.I was reminded of that fact yesterday when I received an email from the Taylor & Francis Group at Routledge. The email informed me that an article I wrote that was published in 2010 "was the most downloaded article published in Pedagogies last year."
The research I do (did, I guess) is time consuming. It involves analyzing video data of social interaction in teacher education classrooms at a very fine level. The article was based on data that were collected in preparation for my doctoral dissertation (but not the actual data analyzed for the dissertation I wrote). I cannot tell you how many hundreds of hours were spent just on the analysis of a ten minute strip of video data. This is all to say that I am pleased that a product of my hard work is actually being accessed by others -- and I hope they find it somehow useful for their own work.
One of the benefits of this distinction re: being the most downloaded article last year is that the article is now available for free. So, if you need a soporific, here it is.
As your former colleague at Loyola Marymount University, I am very pleased to read about the significance and impact of your research. We often do our work without knowing how it is being received and just hope that it can make a difference. Keep up the great work, Marty, whether it is doing research or serving as Headmaster for St. Peter Claver High School.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Vicki. It was the support of professors like yourself that encouraged the work of those just entering the academy. And I appreciate your support of this new chapter, too.
ReplyDeleteAsante sana!