On Monday we had 333 candidates sit for our entrance examination -- 210 seats available. We accepted 203 students. We didn't make our target -- in fact we know that not all of the 203 accepted will register. We have put some students on a waiting list and will accept them as space is available on 14 October. We will also have another testing date on 22 October.
My concern most especially is the number of girls -- both testing and passing. We'll try doubly hard to get them to sit for the next exam. This is not only a matter of making sure that they get every opportunity but also a practical problem for us -- the school will reach a point when the boys' dorm is full and the girls' half empty.
So today, I will clean my office and try to avoid parents of candidates who were rejected. This all brings back memories of St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland. Jane McManamon (may she rest in peace) and Sandra Reid were excellent in protecting Rich Clark, the principal, and me, the assistant principal for academics, at the time of the publication of admissions decisions.
Regarding the publication of results, I take Pilate's words as my own: Quod scripsi scripsi -- What I have written, I have written.
Incidentally, all the decisions were made blind -- according to candidate numbers alone. Once they were published I did look at some names. Disappointed that the children of some friends did not make it (and happy that the children of some power folks did!). I am accustomed to standing firm, and this would be no exception -- our "anti-courruption curriculum" is best taught with our own actions.
No comments:
Post a Comment