Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Humility

A day doesn't go by when someone doesn't mention that ours is a school that already has a national stature -- and that is after not even five months. Such talk can go to a school's head!

We've met the antidote for pride! The VIP section for our dedication continues to dwindle. First the bishop discovered there was a more important event requiring his attendance; then the provincial informed us that he will be unable to attend because of more pressing matters in Nairobi.

The president's office has informed us that they have not received a single one of the three different invitations sent. The regional commissioner (rather like a governor, but appointed) will not be able to attend. I could go on.

It reminds me of something I heard once:

A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. When the time for the dinner came, he dispatched his servant to say to those invited, 'Come, everything is now ready.' But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, 'I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.'

The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.' The servant reported, 'Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.' The master then ordered the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.'" (Lk 14:16-24)


No comments:

Post a Comment