Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chui

That's the Swahili word for leopard. It is also used by many for tiger. And it is the name of my cat. I would have never thought that I would own a cat before a dog, but here I am with a lovely male kitten on the verge of maturity.

About one month ago, I received two kittens from my American friend, Andrea. One was gray in colour, so I gave him the name for smoke "Moshi." We had hoped that the two of them (brother and sister) would control the rats approaching our place from the bush that surrounds us. Within a day they ran away. Two days later Chui was found crying at the matron's house and we decided to bring him inside to get him used to us. It worked: He has made himself right at home.

Unfortunately Moshi has not returned, though there have been Moshi sightings on the campus.

Chui provides us hours of entertainment as he chases ping-pong balls, wrappers, and bags. But he is living up to his name -- he's a fierce predator. In addition to countless grasshoppers (very high in protein according to my Ugandan friend whose people eat them), he's caught three rats. I know PETA folks won't be happy to hear it, but he enjoys playing with his prey (of whatever sort) before finishing them off.

Who would have every guessed? As I wrote elsewhere, my mother would be appalled to think that I now own a cat, but I do! (Now for the dog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment